Thursday, August 13, 2009

Reflection: Conversation with an Animated Search Engine

I may post sad tiding on the internet, but I don't like it when people I know post less-than-happy things. It's one of my few areas of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do.

I have some specific phobias: specifically, bad-news phobias.

Years back, a housemate asked me how someone so anxiety-disordered could teach. I said it was simple: My family didn't have my phone number where I worked, so why would I be anxious there? Work was a relative la-la land of newlessness.

Blogs, though, are often two-way communication. So before I ventured to put one up, I had a serious conversation with an imaginary animated icon, a little Googlie...

Indeed. A little Googlie. Microsoft has an animated paper clip on some versions of its word processing software. I envision Google with its own -- maybe not an animated paper clip, but some other very animated icon.

I spent some time rehearsing things with that imaginary animated icon, specifically my expectations regarding its networking habits. I made sure it knew not to give out any personal information. I told it I didn't want a comment box just yet, either, and that I prefer it not to take subscriptions.

The imaginary animated icon has a very intelligent look about it, but it appears a bit doleful when you tell it not to take down information or disperse it freely.

Perhaps I might crawl your blog? it asked. A little looksie? I crawled some other stuff you put up, and I did a good job, don't you think?

I told it that I would consider letting it crawl the blog in the future, though not today.

Alright, what can I do for you today? it asked, resuming its usual eager-to-please font: Google Doc? Adwords? GoogleGoFetch, huh huh?