Thursday, March 4, 2010

Reflection: Across Miles and Years

My brother was at the hospital most of the time for the last week my father was alive. I went by Greyhound and got there later than I should have; I did spend the last two nights there -- and gave him water from a water dropper the last night.

And now... here I still sit. Kevin reports that he's rarely over there with himself with Mother -- even in those brief semi-awake moments she has no idea who he is. She hasn't known that for a long time. (It's been well over a year and a half since my father died, but even then she was beginning to ask us, "Do you know that my husband died?" She still knew he was her husband, then, but she wasn't clear on him being our father.)

Tears in the morning... diphenhydramine and chamomile in my system when I went off to work. Chamomile has mood brightening effects, as well as preventing body aches, but it doesn't make me sleepy. That's my brain for you: Chamomile in the morning, caffeine by night. Every substance that I react strongly to you better believe I have done a major internet study of -- but until the blood and genes there's a limit to how much I can say for sure.